True: Some Girls Like Dresses; False: Everyone Loves a Dress With a Butt Bow

Being a professional bridesmaid is more than meets the eye.

Monday, June 19, 2006

Vacation Bible School

I'm sad to report that I actually didn't make it to all 5 nights of VBS. This past week just proved to be too much with work, and I decided to skip out the last night so that Emily and I could prepare for the wedding fair on Sunday (which was a bust) because we had a wedding to shoot in Austin on Saturday.

VBS proved to be a bit frustrating because some kids (particularly the older boys) just didn't pay attention and craft time and in-between station times turned into some rather interesting conversations about the Godfather, basketball, women's underarm hair and videogames. I also got discouraged by some of the adult leaders who seemed to encourage intense competativeness and name calling during the games and stood, or rather, sat by while to little boys wrestled with their heads dangerously close to concrete.

But all that aside, it was interesting to see a kindergartener recite the passion story and a first or second grader tell Miss Sue (who led the" hot bible story studies" by acting out a character) that she didn't need to fish on Sundays; Jesus is more important than fishing, or eating or money.

This week brought a lot of challenges outside of VBS and it made it easier to get through the week with being reminded that Jesus is our friend, our helper, our savior, and the giver of life. Through Him all things are indeed possible.

Week 4

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
Psalm 34:11-22

I find that I am a peacemaker and part of what defines me as "easy going" (although sometimes I wonder if I really am) is the fact that I'm a push over if that means discord will be avoided. I've been trying to work on being confrontational (and, boy, has God put me in a work situation where there are lots of issues for confrontation). A question I have been struggling with is where is the line between being a peacemaker and needing to stand up for oneself. Christ let his adversaries speak badly about him behind his back, berate him, beat him and even kill him because it was for the glory of God. If my job is to show the world Christ's love, if being a peacemaker will make me blessed, is starting conversations that will inevitably lead to arguments the incorrect thing to do?

4 Comments:

Blogger slefanizer said...

I also struggle with the assertiveness factor. For me, I have to evaluate why I decide not to stand up for things and why I don't bring up those tough conversations. And I think the answer to "Why" leads to a different answer of whether it's okay. Sometimes I can tell that it's really not worth the effort to bring something up b/c the other person won't listen; other times I'm simply afraid of what the other person might say or how they'll react and I'd rather just avoid the unknown. I think the first reason is okay, but the second one has to be dealt with.

I'm definitely still learning how to deal with this. There are still times when I'm at lunch with a co-worker or friend and I want to pray but I don't know how they'll react, so I say one of those quick silent prayers to avoid the subject. But man, aren't we called to be bold? Isn't that the PERFECT opportunity for me to have a deep meaningful conversation beyond Linux and the weather? It's so hard to know when the timing is right. But I'm reminded of the lyrics of another hymn "If we tarry, until we're ready, we will never come at all." It's taken out of context from the hymn, but I think it relates -- if I sit around and wait until I know just how to confront an issue, know just when to start an argument, by default I will just end up doing a lot of sitting around!! So, I don't have any answers here, other than, you are not alone!! It's a tough issue lots of us struggle with. Here's some verses:

2 Cor 3:12 "Therefore since we have such a hope, we are very bold."

Acts 4:29 "Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness."

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harmon said...

The more I think about it the less I think that all confrontation is bad. In fact, if it leads to a more peaceful exisistence in the future, if someone's actions need to be corrected to stop harming others, confrontation is necessary.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see one's fear of being confrontational. It is very easy to see that most people have a bad taste in their mouths towards Christians. I have been the cause of that at some points in my walk and I wish I could go back and take back what I have said. I wasn't a peacemaker at that point. I was what I am not called to be...the judge.

But there were times in my life where I know that God wanted me to stand and do something. I don't know if anyone has felt this before but I know there have been very clear times to stand up.

Quick personal story, when I was in high school, I dated a girl that everyone knew wasn't the purest girl in town but I wasn't going out with her for that. I just liked her and had the courage to ask her out. I was supposed to meet her at her friend's house and when I got there, there was a party going on. The people there told me that she was waiting upstairs for me. So when I got there, she was laying on the bed wanting me to have sex with her.

You know, growing up, I was taught and shown in the bible that sex was wrong before marriage and my dad taught me that it would not a sin against him but against God. That always stuck with me.

So there I am standing there with a girl wanting to sleep with me. I told her that I was sorry but I wouldn't have sex with her because I believed that sex was for marriage according to the bible. (Now, being 17, that was pretty confrontational) As I was walking downstairs, do you think I got some high fives and got some pats on my back for my morality and self control. Not really, I was called a homo, and other filthy names. It didn't help the next week at school that the girlfriend was with another guy.

See, it was clear to me what was stated in God's word. I didn't go in there starting any confrontation or telling everyone that they were sinners and needed Christ. I just said no and stood my ground because I believed God and knew that sex was wrong before marriage. Did it hurt to go through that??? YOu better believe it. It truly sucked. I was alone because I stood up...but there was one verse that seemed to keep me above water.

1 Peter 4:1-2 (keep reading through verse 6 and it is a really great verse.)
"Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselfs with the same attitude, becausse he who has suffered in his body is down with sin. As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

This is a really hard verse to swallow but it did help me a lot. I realized that if Christ suffered and he never once sinned and he suffered more than anyone man could take then me being a sinner can expect the same but I know that I won't have to go through what he did. Through that experience, I realized that the Will of my Father was more important than my own feelings. Even though I am mocked and ridiculed, I know where my inheritance is. I know that my faith will be proven greater than gold and I don't say this with pride. I say this with a grateful attitude because i don't deserve what he went through for me.

Praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ

Aaron Rivera

[Sorry so late]

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I know this is coming a little late, but why do we think that peacemakers aren't confrontational? Where did that idea come from? Jesus certainly did not just stand by all the time while other things happened because he wanted to be "peaceful." He turned over tables and got angry. I have always found something interesting about the word peacemaker. The focus often seems to be the first half, peace, but there is another part of the word, maker.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home