True: Some Girls Like Dresses; False: Everyone Loves a Dress With a Butt Bow

Being a professional bridesmaid is more than meets the eye.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"My bad"- Eve

I saw the title of this post once on a t-shirt. My oldest friend (by how long we've known each other, not by age), Allison, started saying "my wrongness" somewhere around 7th grade when "my bad" was very in. Since then I've had the tendency to say "my wrongness" instead of "my bad."

My point: The t-shirt was wrong. Eve (or Adam) never said my bad or my wrongness. They just shifted the blame; they made an excuse. It didn't stop with them. I still make plenty of excuses why I don't do things I know I should or why I did the bad things I have.

I would like to direct you to Romans 5 Particularly, Verse 12-14

"12Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— 13for before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. 14Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come."

So, it seems God answered my question through Paul before I ever thought it (God is great!) Sin was always in the world and what separates Adam and Eve before the fruit and me is that I've always been aware of the Law and my need for Christ and His salvation. Kudos to Aaron for pointing this out in his reply post.

Week Six
I feel that this is all has been very elementary and not really what I intended, but alas I am no theologian. I guess what is going on in my life has a lot of "God is Great!" moments behind it. I'm just going through a sorta elementary spell and learning or re-learning what it is to have Joy in the Lord because for a very long time I haven't. I'm also distracted by my sinful nature and the mass amounts of complaining that comes out of my mouth about work and the physical tiredness of working on our house that prevents me to really delve into anything too heavy. I hope to change that soon.

This week I would like for people to just share Joys. It doesn't have to be big; it could even be something that is seemingly trivial. Mainly, I would like you to look for the Joy because it is there!

4 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

"...for before the law was given, sin was in the world" refers to the law given to Moses. This doesn't mean there was sin before the Fall.

Even if Adam and Eve were sinning and just didn't know it, God would have known it, and I don't think He would just "let it slide." After all, He is holy.

But (cue: attempt to share a joy, so my post isn't off topic) we can take joy in this, too -- not only do we have a God who is holy, but He humbled himself for our sake by becoming a man and dying for us.

He is both holy and merciful, not a God who is a pushover, ignoring sin, but also full of love for us, providing everything we need to be reconciled to Him.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Derek, I really don't understand what you meant in the first part of your message. You cut off the verse which ends with "But sin is not taken into account when there is no law." What Adam issued in was death as referenced in the next verse. "Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come."

Sorry if I am just not getting it but if you could explain further, I would like to see what you are saying. I might be just reading and comprehending something totally different than what you are meaning.

But back to the topic, I am very joyful because of the following verses (15-21). It's the gift that i didn't deserve. My trespasses are now whipped away. Where sin increased, God's grace increased all the more. With his grace and mercy, I will have eternal life. This makes me joyful.

-Aaron Rivera

4:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harmon said...

Thanks for the correction. What I meant didn't quite come out right!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

"But sin is not taken into account when there is no law." (Romans 5:13b)

Here's what I think this means. "Law" here refers to the Law given to Moses on Mt. Sinai. Before the Law was given to Moses, there was no Law to sin against, so Paul is making the point that people living before Moses weren't held accountable for the Law. For the same reason, you can't be accused of speeding until there's a posted speed limit -- before the law is given, you aren't really violating anything.

So, people who lived after Adam but before Moses were not guilty of breaking God's Law. Still, they were sinners, and we know this from the first part of that verse: "until the Law sin was in the world," and from v. 14, "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses."

How were they sinners? V. 15 says "by the transgression of the one [i.e., Adam] the many died." This indicates that they were born into the sin of Adam, in the same way that we are born with a sinful nature.

Just my thoughts!

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home