The Big Picture
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11
Jeremiah 29:11
I am unemployed. Mostly. I still have a couple more weddings that I have to do because I committed to them awhile ago, but then I'm done with professional photograhy. I decided that it was past time to leave and I wasn't going to look for something full time unless I had to look.
After Karianne posted a comment asking me if I had read anything by Elizabeth Elliot, I checked out her website. I had been reading, and now finished, her best seller Through Gates of Splendor, but wasn't really aware of her other body of work. On her website, unfortunately it is now not up, she had a Daily Devotional about God's plan for each of our lives. She wrote about a woman who had contacted her wanting to know how she knew her time as a missionary with her first husband, Jim Elliot, was God's plan for her life. Her response was that we should not focus on the big plan, only God knows all the details, but the next step in His big plan.
All the time that I have been thinking about leaving my job I've been completly frustrated and flustered by the seemingly endless possibilities out there. I feel like I've made so many mistakes about my education and path since college that I don't want to make a bad decision and waste more time. I've also been struggling with the different directions I feel pulled towards. After reading Elizabeth Elliot's devotion something just clicked. All the directions I feel pulled towards doesn't mean I'm severly undecisive, it perhaps means, that God is revealing parts of his long term plan for me and all I need to focus is on the next step. I may not understand the next step or see how it leads to the end, but it's a step I will have to take to get there.
After Karianne posted a comment asking me if I had read anything by Elizabeth Elliot, I checked out her website. I had been reading, and now finished, her best seller Through Gates of Splendor, but wasn't really aware of her other body of work. On her website, unfortunately it is now not up, she had a Daily Devotional about God's plan for each of our lives. She wrote about a woman who had contacted her wanting to know how she knew her time as a missionary with her first husband, Jim Elliot, was God's plan for her life. Her response was that we should not focus on the big plan, only God knows all the details, but the next step in His big plan.
All the time that I have been thinking about leaving my job I've been completly frustrated and flustered by the seemingly endless possibilities out there. I feel like I've made so many mistakes about my education and path since college that I don't want to make a bad decision and waste more time. I've also been struggling with the different directions I feel pulled towards. After reading Elizabeth Elliot's devotion something just clicked. All the directions I feel pulled towards doesn't mean I'm severly undecisive, it perhaps means, that God is revealing parts of his long term plan for me and all I need to focus is on the next step. I may not understand the next step or see how it leads to the end, but it's a step I will have to take to get there.

2 Comments:
Wow, I'm glad you decided to leave since you're not happy there. I hope you find your next step soon. Keep us updated!
Good job! I know that was tough.
Some friends (and Dave Ramsey) have recommended the book "48 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Miller -- I haven't read it, but there's also a lot of info on the website, http://www.48days.com/.
Just thought I'd pass that along. We'll be praying for you!
Post a Comment
<< Home