Plastic People
Are we happy plastic people/ Under shiny plastic steeples/ with walls around our weakness/ And smiles to hide our pain/ But if the invitations open/ To every heart that has been broken/Maybe then we close the curtain on our stained glass masquerade.
-Casting Crowns Stained Glass Masquerade
I realized about 4 weeks ago that I think I've been reading Philippians 4:13 wrong my entire life.
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
I've been reading it: I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me. Now this is the translation of NIV and ESV, but the good old KJV I think is more accurate. I can do all things that strengthen me (namely things that I do not enjoy) through Christ.
Sometimes it just baffles me at how utterly silly I am. How can I pray that God will make me His servant, that He will refine me with His holy fire, that He will lead my heart so that it seeks only Him, and then expect for everything to go on just to on without a hitch?
I must admit that the honeymoon period is over for my new job. I so desire to just sleep in when the alarm goes off most mornings. I really push the limit as to the time I get out of bed. I've been struggling with the thought that I'll never be satisfied with any career and that I'm, after years over overachieving, just a quitter at heart; I can't follow through with anything. Lies, of course, planted by the enemy (by this, I mean Satan of course) to tear me down and distract me from my purpose.
I know that I am not alone in these sorts of thoughts, but when I keep them to myself they seem scarier and they make me seem to perfect, plastic, if you will. The more perfect we try to appear to be the more we hurt ourselves by keeping things bottled up inside. The less opportunities we have to connect with other people who are feeling the same way.
Sometimes it just baffles me at how utterly silly I am. How can I pray that God will make me His servant, that He will refine me with His holy fire, that He will lead my heart so that it seeks only Him, and then expect for everything to go on just to on without a hitch?
I must admit that the honeymoon period is over for my new job. I so desire to just sleep in when the alarm goes off most mornings. I really push the limit as to the time I get out of bed. I've been struggling with the thought that I'll never be satisfied with any career and that I'm, after years over overachieving, just a quitter at heart; I can't follow through with anything. Lies, of course, planted by the enemy (by this, I mean Satan of course) to tear me down and distract me from my purpose.
I know that I am not alone in these sorts of thoughts, but when I keep them to myself they seem scarier and they make me seem to perfect, plastic, if you will. The more perfect we try to appear to be the more we hurt ourselves by keeping things bottled up inside. The less opportunities we have to connect with other people who are feeling the same way.
Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."
Psalm 16:1-2
Psalm 16:1-2

1 Comments:
Ever wonder where the term "honeymoon" came from?
"It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon."
So, Tiff, it sounds like you've stopped drinking honey beer on the job and have woken up to reality? ;) J/K of course.
I disagree with your statement that you are a quitter. You've hit some obstacles, but I know you won't cash your chips in yet. The best is yet to come.
I do agree that you can be silly at times. And I have pictures to prove it! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home