True: Some Girls Like Dresses; False: Everyone Loves a Dress With a Butt Bow

Being a professional bridesmaid is more than meets the eye.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

"untitled part 2"

One of the "bestest" friends (who happens to be my friend since childhood and sort of knows a thing or two about me ;) challenged me to figure out what success means for me; not what it means for the rest of the world.

So here's the beginnings of an attempt at a list of success:

Living life intently pursuing a greater good.

Having more friends than enemies.

Always knowing when to let go of what's holding me back and encumbering success.

Laughing often.

Living with my heart and mind open.

Being a fool for all the right reasons.

Learning from those who have gone before me.

Clinging to what is good and right and true. Romans 12:9

Living life sharing what God has given me and watching in awe as it multiplies.

Never looking back. Luke 9:62


I would be delighted if everyone who reads this would leave at least one of their ideas of success too :)




Isaac asked his son, "How did you find it so quickly, my son?"
"The LORD your God gave me success," he replied.

Genesis 27:20

2 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

Hey, Tiff! This was a thought-provoking post. It makes me think of the Old Testament prophets -- they often failed to bring people to repentance, but they were successful in confessing the truth. I think I would consider myself successful if I achieved nothing more than confessing the truth.

You mentioned pursuing a greater good, which makes me think about Luther's doctrine of vocation. In Luther's day, Catholics only used the word "vocation" to refer to jobs within the church -- priest, monk, nun. Anything else was just a job, not a "higher calling." Luther ended up rejecting this view, reasoning that God calls us to love and serve our neighbor, and when we do so, God is in fact loving and serving them through us. When a farmer does his job, God is hidden in the vocation of the farmer, providing food for people. (A farmer or a doctor is an easy example, but even the most mundane job applies in some way: God works through the truck driver to deliver the food, through the grocer to stock the food, through the banker to help me pay for the food. It doesn't just have to be about food, but I'm hungry.)

So I think the greater good we pursue is simply to love our neighbor. And, amazingly, we do that when we go to work every day, because God hides himself in us doing our jobs.

The old Catholic view of vocation is startlingly popular today in evangelical churches (and Lutheran ones) -- we think we have to be involved in a ministry (or six) at our church in order to be doing God's work. Really, we go to church to be served by God with His Word and Sacrament (hence the title "Divine Service"). Which is not to knock church ministries, but I have gotten involved in them thinking I had to, even to the neglect of my own family, and that's a pattern I see. People exhaust themselves trying to do "God's work" (which can only be done through the church), and they forget to do God's true work in their home (e.g., making dinner, playing with their kids, taking out the trash -- all vocations that God is hidden in).

Well, I succeeded in leaving a long and rambling comment (my other definition of success!). Hope you're doing well!

-Derek

2:36 AM  
Blogger Matt and Tiffany said...

Tiffany-

I love reading your blog! You always provide some sort of inspiration and insight on life :) I think you have great ideas on success... now if only these were shared by the rest of the world.... Take care sweetie

-Tiffany

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home